Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

Apifera Farm is a registered 501 [c][3]. #EIN# 82-2236486

All images

©Katherine Dunn.





Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Paco does a squishy poop and writes a poem

"I told you, I saw the bag," said Paco, the resident worrier. "Oh no, I feel it coming...I can't hold it in," he continued, worried.

"Paco! Not again, stand away, he is going to blow!" said Pino.

And with that, Paco had the runny poops. Happens every time the people with the bags come.

"I told you, she has the needles," Paco lamented.

"It's never as bad as you imagine, Paco, just repeat one of your poems, that will make you less worried," consoled Lucia.

"There once was doctor without shots,
Who came to me in my dream lots,
Instead of sharp tips,
She kissed my lips,
And we flew off to eat cookies."

"Not your best poem, but that's okay, Paco," said Boone. "Be a man, little chap, I'll go first."

And with that, a new vet came to give the donkeys and equines, and the llama, rabies shots. We never had to give them in Oregon, except to the dogs. I liked this vet, she is young but she answered my questions and was also understanding with me about not 'over vetting' which I won't tolerate in any vet. She also helped me with the elder Matilda-who I have been diligently applying Swat to each day, twice a day, to keep the biting flies at bay. But the flies are winning and her leg swelled up a little. So we shaved her legs and cleaned them more thoroughly and applied new treatment, and gave her antibiotics. I learned about a new topical treatment too that is very helpful.

Carrying for these creatures is a wonderful part of my life. I hope to do it until..well, I can't. I do know that here in Maine, I might have to adjust the quantity of creatures I take on. This is not a sad thing, it is a practical thing. The hay here is much less reliable, more expensive, and harder to find; there are fewer vets for sheep and goats and pigs; the climate will mean more food is required for the elders. Many people say they will help with finances, they mean well, but I can't rely on that anymore and never really did. In fact, if anyone out there thinks I ever broke even on donations in and food/vet costs out, think again. I am not complaining, but I have to be realistic, financially.

I am thinking of taking on elderly wool sheep that can't be bred and still have viable wool. It's hard for farmers to keep elder sheep, they have to separate them often from the working flock/ram, and many don't have the space for this. It is not that they don't care. I am so happy that I could take Calla and Assumpta. They are wonderful old girls and have beautiful fiber to give the world. I just like that as elders, they still have something to give.

I think the number of goats I'm caring for is a realistic head count-that would be seven mouths to feed and 28 feet to keep healthy. I would like some ducks, and an old goose, again. I miss them. I hope some come to me, somehow, but I have not officially sent this request out to the universe until we get through a winter. Who knows, we might all move to Spain after this. After all, all the animals are microchipped-required for international travel.

Just another piece of Apifera that is evolving...into what it needs to be and wants to be at this stage in our existence.

{Hay Fund is still open to donations. Thanks to all who have given!}