Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

Apifera Farm is a registered 501 [c][3]. #EIN# 82-2236486

All images

©Katherine Dunn.





Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Wait for the inner animal to come to you



I've learned to never judge the rascals, the trouble makers, the quiet ones, the scared ones-for they all show up with their true inner selves if given a consistent environment-over months and sometimes years-to feel safe.

One of the perks of living with a bunch of elders is this-that face. And with each minute movement of his head while I sat in front of him with a camera, another pose to warm the heart and aching bones.

This is Victor, I've spoken of him before of course. he arrived with his best mate, Sophie, and the old sheep who really is a big old dog, Floyd.

While I doted a lot on Floyd that first month of his stay-there was no way to avoid this as Floyd became my shadow, my giant shadow with his back coming up to my waist. He just needed me so much. That is what i felt like and he has calmed a lot.

But Victor and Sophie were more in the background, making sure they could find places to rest without being knocked around by the younger bunch they live with–Wilbur the Acrobatic Goat, Goose, Moose, The Head Troll-and a bunch of ducks, old goose and two bulldozer pigs–they were wise to figure things out before relaxing with this new place they now call home. While I immediately saw the love in Victor's eyes on arrival, and he was very personable, it is only now I have felt a bond forming with him, and Sophie into me and my care. Sophie arrived and hung back, watching Victor and making sure all was well before she ventured around much, but she is much more self assured now. Her personality is blossoming more. She was more shy about back scratches and hugs, but now she loves to lean into the stall wall at night while I rub her cheeks. Victor was easy to love from day one, Sophie is one of those animals that as you get to know her you truly fall for her inner being, once you get to see it a few times. I've learned to never judge the rascals, the trouble makers, the quiet ones, the scared ones-for they all show up with their true inner selves if given a consistent environment-over months and sometimes years-to feel safe.

They are still very thin. You can't see it here, but they are racks, their hip areas are sunken if you felt through their soft wool. But they are gaining, slowly, and eating well and are very happy. They sleep in a large area with Floyd at night to assure they don't get played with by Marcella [although she is really growing out of this baby behavior] and to assure proper feeding morning and night. But they love their barnyard and have special spots they hang out, like down by the lower Misfit area where the shade of Stevie's hut can't be resisted on a hot day.

I am so glad I got to take these two on, and that New Moon Goat Farm and Sanctuary helped them from their neglect and matted condition. That smile, that gentle nudge from Sophie to Victor that I caught on camera, that is one of the many rewards of helping old, wounded creatures-to see them come back to life, to give them even a year or two of safety so they can just grow old and continue to be themselves as best they can, until they die.

If you like what I do here at Apifera for old creatures, consider a monthly subscription to help the Misfits, or donate at various gift levels. Details here.