Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

Apifera Farm is a registered 501 [c][3]. #EIN# 82-2236486

All images

©Katherine Dunn.





Sunday, May 18, 2014

Come on Mama!



Read how this great egg watch began here, and then moved along to here.

Still waiting for the Kildeer to hatch those eggs. I tried so hard to get a picture of her sitting on the eggs, taking my bigger zoom lens and hiding in the stream side. She was so onto me.

The gestation is about 21-28 days so surely she must be close. I appreciate the tenacity of this mother. To watch a giant truck drive over her eggs daily...must be riveting stuff. I am only an observer of birds, I can't say I know how they think, what emotions they might have that I can relate to. Does a mother bird "worry" as you or I would if we laid a baby in a birth sack on a sidewalk? I don't know. I think it must be more like a minute by minute interpretation of events for them-sensing danger, or not. Perhaps she senses we are friends to her, and drive rationally.

We shall see.