Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

Apifera Farm is a registered 501 [c][3]. #EIN# 82-2236486

All images

©Katherine Dunn.





Sunday, November 24, 2013

Meeting with The Head Troll - don't be late



It has been a whirlwind of book packing and sales in the past couple weeks–grateful for all the comments coming in and well wishes from people who have lurked for years on the blog [nothing wrong with that] and now are popping their heads up to say 'hello' and 'thank you'. It's all nice. Thank you all very much. It is a beginning on a good beat.

But I need to take some time this week to sit with my master plan. Wait, do I have one? I think not, well I sort of have one-but I've always created, painted and written in a fluid way, I guess master planning will be no different. However, I'm feeling we need a bit more structure for my book ideas, and for marketing
Misfits of Love
to the masses, especially since I've got this crazy idea of not selling on Amazon. I think the people who respond to this book are going to respond because of the visceral connection of it and I'm not so sure Amazon is the place for that. I'm not saying I have anything against Amazon, and I did add a page there with description in case someone looks it up or wants to leave a review, but I like selling directly. I suppose at some point I will change my tune.

That's why I set up time this week to spend with The Head Troll. I've named her Marketing Misfit or something like that, I can't even remember the title, but before I knew it she stood before me with pencil and tablet, ready to serve, and direct. As you can see from the photo, you don't want to be late to a meeting with The Head Troll, she does not tolerate tardiness. She is a no nonsense manager type, and you better come prepared with good ideas or she'll cancel the meeting on the spot.

You might think I've gone mad this time, talking to Head Trolls. She's a goat, that's what you're thinking–She's a goat. Yes, but she's a Head Troll. Trust me on this. She knows... a lot of stuff–about a lot of things. She encourages me to think outside the box and to listen to my gut. When something flops, she looks at me, and I can hear words from her,

"Did you listen to your gut on that one?"

The Head Troll knows.