Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

Apifera Farm is a registered 501 [c][3]. #EIN# 82-2236486

All images

©Katherine Dunn.





Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Gifts from afar


One of the greatest parts of pie day was we had two out of town guests, one from Kentucky, and one from NYC. Cathy and I became friends about a year ago when she bought some art and helped donate to raffles for the spay/neuter of the Apifera Farm ferels. She is an avid cat lover, and lives with very refined, college educated city cats on the west side of Manhattan [the best side]...[OK now that I've hurt the east side - I lived on both sides so I think I can say that].

From the minute Cathy and Dan stepped their feet -or in Dan's case, his fennel tendrils - onto our farm, it was like being in a remake of Big Chill, only we had never met. Yes, that's right I invited complete unknowns into my haven. But Cathy and I have communicated so much, and we never had one second of doubt. I new Dan's art and loved it. Like me, he has very sensitive fairy like genes, and communes with creatures.

Well, it was a hoot! It was fun, it was funny, it was inspirational. It was helpful, it was over way too soon. On Friday nite, Martyn made lamb kabobs, and Cathy had brought some of her delicious Romesco sauce. We drank wine and we sat under the stars. We talked, Dan played my guitar, we just had so much comraderie.

I am not even doing their visit justice. It was just one of those weekends you have, and it goes down in your mind as one of the best. We desrved it. We work so hard here, all the time. It was cool to be with like minded, funny, inspired people - crazy enough to get on a plane and fly to a donkey/pie party in the middle of nowhere. And they didn't even know Pino!

When they left, I missed them. The energy had to adjust. But I feel completely confidant saying, we have formed a life long friendship.